NYC Lab-to-School Summer Institute
What if, in just one week, you could develop a better understanding of climate change,
become a more confident educator, build a network of wonderful colleagues from around New York City,
and return to your school with new ideas about how to engage students with climate change?
Integrating Climate Education in NYC Public Schools
The Center for Sustainable Futures at Teachers College, Columbia University, and NYC Public Schools Office of Sustainability
are partnering to present the 2023 Summer Institute: Integrating Climate Education in NYC Public Schools from July 17 – 20, 2023.
A vital part of LEAP’s education programming, the 2023 Summer Institute constitutes four full days of professional learning, bringing
together faculty, doctoral students, expert teachers, and leaders from the NYC Department of Education to create a learning community
that will explore, make sense of, and provide tangible support for incorporating climate change across different subject areas.
The 2023 Summer Institute is free.
Participants will receive a $1,000 stipend, and may earn up to 28 CTLE credits.
Summer Institute Goals
As the need and demand grows for the integration of climate change education in schools, LEAP’s Summer Institute will help catalyze the preparation of K-5 teachers ** to develop and lead lessons aligned with standards- and place-based learning.
The goals of the 2023 Summer Institute are:
- To develop new knowledge and understanding of climate change among teachers.
- To empower teachers to engage their students with climate change across different subject areas, including: English Language Arts (ELA), Math, Social Studies, Arts, and Science.
- To co-design innovative teaching materials about climate change in New York City.
- To establish a learning community of teachers from different schools and neighborhoods.
** Subsequent Summer Institutes will focus on preparing middle and high school teachers.
Application, Dates, and Other Details
K-5 teachers throughout NYC are eligible to apply to the 2023 Summer Institute.
- Application deadline: May 1, 2023
- Decisions released by: May 15, 2023
- Early decisions are available upon request
Questions? Please contact the Summer Institute team.
To request disability-related accommodations, please complete the Accommodations Request Form or contact the Office of Access and Services for Individuals with Disabilities (OASID) [phone: (212) 678-3689; video-phone: (646) 755-3144] as soon as possible.