LEAP Summer REU Program
LEAP’s REU program offers summer undergraduate research experiences (SUREs) on synergistic innovations in data science and climate science. This program is in partnership with the Summer at SEAS program, the DSI Scholars program and the Significant Opportunities in Atmospheric Research and Science (SOARS) program at UCAR. The program hosts undergraduate researchers in various LEAP research projects and offers a wide array of enrichment learning and networking opportunities.
For summer 2022, potential research projects in LEAP REU program include physics-informed and causally-informed machine learning, novel ML-based subgrid parameterizations for Earth System Models, global parameter inference, and new machine learning – based diagnostics and metrics for evaluating these models, with a focus on the Community Earth System Model (CESM). The center is committed to building a diverse research community at the intersection of geosciences and data sciences with the objective to build a LEAP community on par with the US population in terms of gender and race diversity.
Summer 2022 LEAP REU Application
- February 17, 2022: Application opens
- February 24, 2022: Info session
- March 3, 2022: Application deadline
- March 24, 2022: Application decision notification
- March 24 – March 31, 2022: Admitted students matched with a project
- June 6, 2022 – July 29, 2022: Summer REU program (dates may vary for different projects)